USA IBC Dance School Packing List
REMEMBER TO BRING
- Extra-long twin sheets, blanket, pillow, and pillowcase for bed
- Dressy clothes for the performances; casual clothes for weekend and evening activities
- Dance attire and supplies (see dress code)
- Personal toiletries – soap, shampoo, toothbrush, deodorant, etc.
- Notebook and pen/pencil
- Umbrella and/or raincoat
- Laundry detergent
- $20 cash deposit for your room key and card
- Money for Laundry
- Spending money (see below)
- Alarm clock
- Water bottle
Ballet Bag Needs
BALLET BAG NEEDS
- Ballet shoes, pointe shoes (for girls), jazz shoes
- Hair accessories – pins, brush, clips, hairspray, etc.
- Extra leotards and tights
- Ball or roller for foot cramps
- Toenail clippers and nail file
- Muscle rub
- Water bottle
Students will need some spending money while they are here. Extra cash can be used for healthy snacks, International Ballet Competition commemorative merchandise, and the Vendor Fair. Each student will need to make a $20 (cash) refundable deposit for their room key and card at registration.
The residence halls have laundry facilities. Bring your own detergent. The laundry machines operate off of cards only.
Usually, weather in Mississippi in June is hot and humid, sometimes rainy. Bring a rain jacket and/or umbrella. You will adjust to the climate best if you wear lightweight, cool clothing. All studio spaces, residence halls, and theaters are air-conditioned. You may want to bring a light jacket or wrap if you are not accustomed to air-conditioning.
USA IBC Dance School Rules
Each student is expected to adhere to the rules instituted by the USA IBC Dance School. Minor problems will be addressed by the counseling staff. More serious problems will be referred to the Dance School Administrator and/or Dance School Director. A meeting will be held with the student, the student’s counselor, and at least one member of the school staff. Parents will be notified. In the rare event a situation cannot be resolved to the satisfaction of our staff, the student will be sent home. No refund will be issued.
Residence Hall Rules
- Respect the authority of the counselors.
- No running or yelling in the hallways.
- Gentlemen are not allowed in ladies’ rooms and vice versa.
- Everyone should be in the residence hall upon returning from evening functions.
- Quiet hours begin at 10 p.m. All visitors must leave the residence hall once quiet hours begin.
- Students are not to leave the residence halls after lights out except in an emergency, and then only with a counselor.
- A bed check is conducted each night. Students must be in their rooms by 11 p.m.
- Drugs, alcohol, and smoking are strictly prohibited.
- Inappropriate or offensive use of technology (computers, phones, cameras, social media, etc.) is prohibited. Bullying or harassment of any kind is not tolerated.
- Profanity (obscene, disrespectful, or discriminatory language) and vandalism of any kind is not tolerated.
- Students (under 18 years of age) taking prescription medication must turn it in to their counselor during registration. Counselors will give out medication to students daily.
- Respect the authority of faculty, staff, and studio attendants.
- Wear a shirt and shorts or skirt, etc., to cover up while walking between classes. Class dress code will be strictly enforced. Ladies, tights must be worn UNDER the leotard. Absolutely no holes or cut-up class attire.
- Classes start on time. Any special preparation needed, such as taping feet for pointe class, should be done ahead of time.
- All phones must be turned off during class time. If a student’s phone rings during class, the student may be asked to sit out for the rest of class.
- Students must participate in all classes in the level to which they are assigned.
- Attendance is required for ALL CLASSES. In cases of injury, students are required to observe class. Attendance will be taken.
- If you are feeling ill, you must notify your counselor and teacher before class so that appropriate medical attention can be given before classes begin.
- No talking in class.
- No sitting down except with the permission of the teacher.
- No chewing gum in class.
- Do not leave until class is dismissed.
- Water bottles are allowed in class.
- Level placement is determined at the discretion of the faculty and is FINAL. All students will have the opportunity to take class from each faculty member.
- Respect counselor instruction during evening performances.
- Students sit with their assigned counselor group on the bus and during the performance.
- Phones must be turned off and put away.
- Remain seated during the performance.
- No speaking during performances.
- No photography or videography.
- No food or drink.
- No putting feet up on chairs.
- No whistling, yelling, or screaming.